New Parents’ Guide
We are very pleased you have chosen us for your child’s secondary education and would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your family into our school community. We pride ourselves on developing our students so that they are happy, mature and confident young adults. So please, rest assured that we will strive to ensure your child achieves the very best outcomes possible.
We hope you will find this booklet useful in informing you about Tottington’s systems which will enable us to create effective home-school links with you.
Parents’ Guide to THS
Local uniform suppliers and latest prices
Further information about school uniform and PE kit is available on the School Uniform and PE KIt page on our main school website.
Home Help - Ideas for helping your son/daughter at home
Encourage your son/ daughter
- To talk about school- likes/ dislikes, what they are good at, what they are worried about…
- To talk about books, films, hobbies etc.
Don’t pressure them they will talk when they are ready.
- Encourage them to make a large copy of their timetable
- Display it in a prominent place
- Refer to it to remind them what lessons they have each day
- Make lists of what they need each day
- Encourage them to pack their bag with everything they need for the next day
- Encourage them to check it against the list for that day
- Don’t pack their bag for them
- Encourage them to get into a routine and do things in a similar sequence
- Help plan out extended pieces of homework over a period of days or weeks
- Check their homework diary each day
- Encourage them to have a set time to do their homework
- Help with homework
- Don’t do their work for them
- Keep an eye on the time they spend on their work. Check they do not spend too long or too little time on each piece.
- Let your child’s teacher know if they are struggling with the work, or to keep up.
Events will for you and your child will be listed here as well as on our main school website’s calendar page tottington.bury.sch.uk/calendar