Date: Lake District – 30th June 2018 – 2nd July 2018
Route: Skelwith Bridge – Coniston – Torver – Seathwaite – Eskdale

Typical. Our final expedition was set to be in the middle of a heatwave, about the only time you don’t want temperatures in the high twenties and blazing sun all day. Luckily Mr Cudworth and our assessor, Pam, agreed to reduce the weight of our rucksacks so we set off with a lightened load across the beautiful Lake District National Park.

We set out into some woodland and then promptly got lost. Despite Kaitlan, from the other team, telling us the correct way to go. After what seemed like ages we finally found the path and were able to get back on track reaching our checkpoint on time. From then on we continued in fairly high spirits albeit very hot and sweaty passing through our checkpoints.

When we reached Coniston, Martyn suggested we go and see the grave of Sir Malcom Campbell; the land and water world speed record holder. So Beker and I did, however I had been expecting there to be some information about it (I’m not sure why) so was slightly disappointed it was just a grave.

Again we set off this time into fields, where we found a whole dead sheep skeleton so obviously we (Garfieh) carried the skull, which we named Larry, for most of the rest of the day.

We reached camp, set up our tents, ate tea and then went to bed earlier than usual (I think some of us were still feeling the after effects of prom). When we woke up the next morning everyone seemed surprised at how well they had slept considering the frozen nightmares of the practise.

The Yorkys left camp an hour early to try to escape the worst of the sun and we followed soon after. Unfortunately Ellie wasn’t very well so after checkpoint one she went back with Martyn and Miss Harvey whilst the rest of us set off up a mountain (Dow Crag 778m). We made steady progress up it and everyone was ecstatic when we reached the top and saw the stunning views, you could even see the Isle of Man. We were so excited we dumped our rucksacks and climbed to the very top with Mr Cudworth.

Eventually we set off down a very steep path, by the time we had made it to the bottom Molly and Kian had reached the end of 99 bottles of gin on the wall. Here we saw and felt the effects of the heat despite Beker insisting it wasn’t hot even though it was 29 degrees. Garfieh turned himself into a warrior using face paint and a wet towel and the Tarn had begun to dry up.

Ellie re-joined us at checkpoint 5 and we headed to the campsite where, as it was Holly’s 16th birthday the next day, we had a massive treat. Ice-cream! Which was delicious in the heat. After doing all the necessary jobs we headed to the river where we watched Garfieh playing in the river, pretending to be a salmon.

The next day we set off early again. As we made our way through fields we began singing and an American woman commented she was able to hear us from the top of the hill. Due to the sweltering heat we decided to navigate a route just off our path so that we passed a tarn. Mr Cudworth and Miss Harvey said they would turn a blind eye to us going in for a paddle, I am so glad they did because as Molly said it was the best time on D of E ever!

After all the fun we decided we had better get a move on as we were seriously late so we trekked the last bit as fast as we could. We reached the end still well over an hour late and couldn’t find the van anywhere so we began to think they had set off without us. However after a couple of minutes they turned up and we set off back.

If my feet were anything to go by the smell in the van must have been torture. But it was worth it as I absolutely loved it and had a great time and am sure the others did.

Jo Woodman – Year 11

Thank you to Mr Cudworth, Miss Harvey and Martyn for taking us.