Careers education and guidance at Tottington High School serves to prepare students for their future education, training and employment. The quality of our careers provision is recognised by the Inspiring IAG award. We currently hold the Gold standard and this reflects our commitment to high quality careers provision for all of our students.
Tottington High School careers provision aims to:
- To enable students to develop a knowledge and understanding of education, training and employment through investigating opportunities available to them at a local, national and international level.
- To support students in developing and implementing action plans so that they can take ownership of their own future at and beyond Key Stage 4.
- To provide opportunities to develop enterprise and employment skills.
- To promote equality of opportunity, challenge stereotyping and support inclusion.
- To help students develop an understanding of themselves and others.
The careers provision is composed of the following careers elements:
- Careers advice: We work with a company called Realsitic Choices to provide impartial careers advice and guidance to students. During their school career all students will receive an individual interview and all students have the opportunity to book additional interviews. Group sessions on different aspects of further study (E.g. post 16 pathways – what apprenticeships are and how to apply) and careers (e.g. job sector requirements – what subjects and experience are needed to become a dentist) are also provided.
- Curriculum focuses: Careers knowledge, skills and experiences are developed in lessons. Topics and individual lessons within subjects focus on different aspects of careers. E.g. managing finances in Business Studies, employment sectors in Geography, persuasive writing in English.
- Careers, Well-Being and Life Skills programme (CWL): Students participate in focussed sessions and days on different aspects of PSHCE, Citizenship and careers. These sessions and days are tailored to meet the needs of specific year groups e.g. College applications for Year 11, enterprise skills for Year 9.
- Careers events: We provide opportunities for students in every year group to develop their careers knowledge, skills, expertise and experiences. These career events take a variety of forms , ranging from taster days at college to designated options weeks in school when Year 9 are making GCSE choices.
- Careers links: We work closely with local education and training providers to ensure that students and parents are aware of the different pathways available to them e.g. A-levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships, technical qualifications (Education and training providers – please see below for school contacts/access).
*Please note: The CWL programme is currently being reviewed and details of the programme will be made available from September 2018.
Our careers provision is constantly developing to ensure that students are motivated and prepared to successfully navigate the next stage of their lives. To ensure that the careers provision is engaging, comprehensive and effective we use the Gatsby Benchmarks. The Gatsby Benchmarks were developed by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation using national and international research. They provide guidance for ensuring excellent careers provision in school and all schools are required to work towards these benchmarks. These benchmarks are focused on the areas shown below :
- Benchmark 1: A stable careers programme
- Benchmark 2: Learning from career and labour market information
- Benchmark 3: Addressing the needs of each student
- Benchmark 4: Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Benchmark 5: Encounters with employers and employees
- Benchmark 6: Experiences of workplaces
- Benchmark 7: Encounters with further and higher education
- Benchmark 8: Personal guidance
*For further information use the useful links below or contact school
- School Careers Leader
- Dr J Hall (Assistant Headteacher)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 01204 88- 2327
- Provider Access
- Please use the contact details above
- Provider access policy statement (see point 9)
- VLE Careers Area
- There is a careers area on the VLE
- The careers area contains further useful links for a variety of areas, ranging from post 16 options to CV writing
- Useful Information
- The VLE Careers area also provides useful information on destinations for leavers and labour market trends in Bury and the North West
- CEIAG Policy
- Tottington High School Careers Education and Impartial Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) Policy
- Careers Programme
- Summary of the Tottington High School Careers programme
- Gatsby Benchmarks
- Further details on each of the Gatsby Benchmarks
- Inspiring IAG Award link
- GDPR Privacy Notice
- Connexions Bury Privacy Notice
Tottington High School
Lancashire, BL8 3LY.
T: 01204 882327